[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Riverturn Support • View topic - Look-up phone number with Google

Look-up phone number with Google

Submit feature requests and suggestions here.

Look-up phone number with Google

Postby recycle » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:35 pm

Do you ever get a phone call from a number you don't recognize, and look it up in Google afterward if they don't leave a message? Well I do all the time. It would be awesome if you could automate that: for missed calls, click on something and it will do a Google search for the number. I would find that immensely useful.

Thanks!
recycle

Re: Look-up phone number with Google

Postby Chris » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:01 pm

I added this as a feature request in our tracking system. Thanks for the suggestion--keep them coming!
Chris

Postby jongpie » Tue May 18, 2010 10:17 am

Just ran across this request, and that I'd voice my opinion that this sounds like an awesome idea. I do the same thing when I get a call from an unknown number. Having it built into VoiceCentral would be incredible.
jongpie

Postby Chris » Tue May 18, 2010 1:14 pm

I added a +1 to the feature request for this. To clarify, how do you guys generally search for a phone number? Specifically, is there a format that tends to work best: (404) 555-1212 vs. 404-555-1212? Also, Google has the PhoneBook feature that allows you to look up numbers but I'm not sure it's any better than doing a web search for the number. Any luck using that?
Chris

Postby jongpie » Tue May 18, 2010 2:03 pm

I typically don't user any special characters, and Google figures out that it's a phone number. For example, I'll search 4045551212 - Google still returns results where it's formated as (404)555-1212 or 404-555-1212, etc.

And since almost no one adds the +1 on the their phone number on their websites (if it's a business, etc.), I don't include it in my searches.

As far as Google's phonebook feature, I honestly always forget that they have it. But I did a quick search for a local number - the phonebook feature didn't find anything, but doing a standard search in Google returned links for a WhitePages.com page that info on the number.

Hope this helps! The more I think about this, the more it seems like it might be difficult to do. But if you think it's feasible, that'd be great!
jongpie

Postby recycle » Wed May 19, 2010 2:23 pm

I generally search as 212 555-1212. Leaving out the parens would seem to give you more potential hits (it catches numbers both with and without them in my experience). I leave the dash between the 555 and 1212 since phone numbers would never lack it and it narrows the results to phone numbers more than general numbers. I don't use a dash after the area code because that would seem to miss numbers with parens.

Google search may be smart enough to deal with phone numbers in any format though -- I've never really experimented. I just figure my approach would give you the broadest range of hits.
recycle

Return to Feature Requests