[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Riverturn Support • View topic - Push Notifications that work. NOT PROWL

Push Notifications that work. NOT PROWL

Get (or provide!) help using VoiceCentral Black Swan.

Push Notifications that work. NOT PROWL

Postby joey » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:15 pm

Gmail has great filters to setup a push notification was quite simple. Here is how.

1. You need to setup your google voice text messages to be sent to your email account. Within Google Voice settings and disable 'Receive SMS on this phone"

2. You need and iPhone App that does mail push notifications.

I like "push mail" cause it opens google voice inbox as the URL for me within the app and it makes it quick for replies to text messages. Boxcar offers free push services. Really whatever you choose

Push Mail Link
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pushmail ... 71854?mt=8

3. Now go to GMail and setup a filter in gmail.

A) Now the important part. In the from address during filter setup it needs to have the following

B) Click Next Step

C) Now you will paste you push email address in the "Forward it to: push@push.com"

D) I dont like to not see these text in my InBox so I mark the check per the following
Skip the Inbox (Archive it) and Mark as Read. You will still get the push notification

E) Click save

5. Final Step. Go to you push notification app and paste the address listed below so when you get your notification and click "View" it will take you to your Google voice InBox (googles webapp)

https://www.google.com/voice/m#~voice:s ... nbox&bmb=1

For now this works great for me. I still use voice central for everything else. I would love to have a URL to open the webapp but I think thats in the works.

Also with this method you dont rely on Prowl to push for you and you dont have to worry about your computer being on or online.

This puts all the work on someone else's server. :)

I hope this help everybody for the mean time. I have been using this for over a week now with no problems. I will try to include more screen shots later

BTW I recommend using another apps if you have an existing app for pushing any type of email notifications. This can better help you distinguish when you get a push notification alert from Google Voice.

Regards,

Joey
joey

Re: Push Notifications that work. NOT PROWL

Postby recycle » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:55 pm

Hi Joey... thank you for the great tip. That worked very well and even with the 1.1.0 update out now, I prefer the Push application you suggest over Prowl (even the cloud-version of Prowl).

For those using 1.1.0, I think this app is better because:

1. You can control what is displayed in the push pop-up's (e.g. To, From, Subject, Body, etc.). I found with the Prowl push for Google SMS messages, all I could see was the long From string. See my settings below for more info.
    2. The BlackSwan webpage opens in the app instead of Safari. When Prowl opens the link via Safari, it always displays an annoying confirmation dialog asking if you're sure you want to open the link.
    3. You can set different sounds for SMS and Voicemail push's, and frankly anything else you forward.
    4. The filtering mechanism is a little more sophisticated (pattern matching) in the event you want to use it for other things (either works fine for separating Google Voice and SMS).
    5. Alerts can repeat. Remember on many older cell phones you could make them beep every few minutes when you had a message?

For those that use PushMail over Prowl, here are some settings tips to get you started:

For SMS:
Set filter Rule to "txt.voice.google.com"
URL is: https://voicecentralwe.appspot.com/voicecentral.html?browser=true&tab=SMS
For Notification Format, turn only "Subject" and "Body" on. This will give you the sender and the body without any extra stuff.

For Voicemail:
Set filter Rule to "from:voice-noreply"
URL is https://voicecentralwe.appspot.com/voicecentral.html?browser=true&tab=Voicemail
Notification Format: Turn only "Body" on. Body contains the sender and the text so no space is wasted repeating the sender.
Last edited by recycle on Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
recycle

Postby recycle » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:17 pm

Hmm... I seemed to have found a little bug. When you open VoiceCentral with PushMail's internal browser, the contacts are sorted differently (Last Name, First Name switch), and the favorites don't show up at all (at least for me).

As soon as you click the link "Open in Safari", however, all that stuff works fine.
recycle

Postby recycle » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:30 pm

Another oddity with the PushMail internal browser... when you open it to the SMS or Voicemail page, the page does not update automatically (you have to hit refresh to see the message that caused the push). However this seems to work fine in Safari (even clicking "Open in Safari" before refreshing will give you the refreshed page in Safari).

It doesn't appear you can force PushMail to use Safari instead on the internal browser unfortunately, but it's a minor issue.
recycle

Postby joey » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:20 pm

Thank you and if you use boxcar it opens a url in Safari.

Boxcar is free so that is a bonus to that.

Where can I get the URL's Needed?
joey

Postby stuart » Sat May 01, 2010 2:19 pm

Where can I get the URL's Needed?

VoiceCentral URLs and Icons:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=138
stuart

Postby joey » Sat May 01, 2010 10:11 pm

Sweet I got everything changed now and boxcar opens the URL within Safari.

I just lowered my text messaging package with At&t. This will help so much.
joey

Postby fullcircle » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:58 pm

I found an even better way to get instant push SMS notifications on the iphone from your google voice number. Go to the appstore and install TextFree (it is a free app that allows you to pick out a local phone number to send and receive SMS for free). Once installed go to google voice and the settings then voicemail&text tab. Under voicemail setting, email voicemail message to: add the email address username@textfree.us (username being the username you setup with textfree account). Also select forward SMS to this email address. Wait for verification email to come from GV on your text free account and click it to verify.

You will now get a text in your textfree account when you get a text from your GV account and you can even reply to the text in your textfree app and it will appear from your GV number!

Let me know if this is useful for them. :D
fullcircle

Return to General Support