[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Riverturn Support • View topic - landscape mode only when typing an SMS

landscape mode only when typing an SMS

Submit feature requests and suggestions here.

landscape mode only when typing an SMS

Postby italiano40 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:45 pm

can you make it an option to only have it go into landscape mode when your typing an SMS message to someone that would be good thank
italiano40

Re: landscape mode only when typing an SMS

Postby Chris » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:06 am

Could you clarify this for me? Are you saying you want an option that disables landscape mode when you turn your phone sideways *except* if you're composing an SMS message?
Chris

Postby italiano40 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:18 am

Yes that correct
italiano40

Postby jongpie » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:32 am

I'll second my vote for this, though I'm not sure how feasible it is. My understanding is that the rotation is built into Safari, and there's not really any way for a site to disable it.
jongpie

Postby Chris » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:46 am

If the app did not switch to landscape mode when you rotated your iPhone, how would you use it? I'm just trying to understand the use case and expected behavior...
Chris

Postby jongpie » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:05 pm

For me, the appeal is that I generally don't rotate my phone (at least when looking at VC), but if I accidentally tilt it too much, Safari rotates the page around. Generally, the only time I want to rotate my screen is when I plan on typing something long (like an SMS or email).

When I'm just trying to view something quickly (like a text, missed call, etc.), I pull my phone out of my pocket and use one hand to view my phone (which is infinitely easier in portrait mode) while I continue working/eating/whatever with my other hand.

Basically, this feature would help reduce/avoid the times that I accidentally tilt the phone too much, causing it to rotate to landscape mode (despite the fact that I'm intending for it to be in portrait mode the majority of the time).

This is by no means that big of a deal, and I could definitely live without it. I also realize that I may be part of a very small minority that may want this. If it's possible to do it easily, that'd be awesome. If not, no worries.
jongpie

Postby italiano40 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:23 pm

jongpie wrote:For me, the appeal is that I generally don't rotate my phone (at least when looking at VC), but if I accidentally tilt it too much, Safari rotates the page around. Generally, the only time I want to rotate my screen is when I plan on typing something long (like an SMS or email).

When I'm just trying to view something quickly (like a text, missed call, etc.), I pull my phone out of my pocket and use one hand to view my phone (which is infinitely easier in portrait mode) while I continue working/eating/whatever with my other hand.

Basically, this feature would help reduce/avoid the times that I accidentally tilt the phone too much, causing it to rotate to landscape mode (despite the fact that I'm intending for it to be in portrait mode the majority of the time).

This is by no means that big of a deal, and I could definitely live without it. I also realize that I may be part of a very small minority that may want this. If it's possible to do it easily, that'd be awesome. If not, no worries.

I agree with that
italiano40

Postby Chris » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:35 pm

I added a feature request to our tracking system for this.
Chris

Postby italiano40 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:50 pm

thank you
italiano40

Postby Chris » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:29 am

I just wanted to update this thread to let you guys know this feature cannot be implemented. After looking into the behavior, it does seem impossible to prevent. Safari handles the actual rotation automatically--even when running in standalone mode as VoiceCentral does--and we change the way the app looks when that happens (for example, stretching/shrinking the rows to fit). We can obviously prevent our changes from occurring, but that does not resolve the issue of having the screen rotate in the first place.
Chris

Return to Feature Requests