[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Riverturn Support • View topic - SMS notifications

SMS notifications

Submit feature requests and suggestions here.

SMS notifications

Postby laservers » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:00 pm

I'm using this great app on my iTouch. It'd be great to receive SMS push notifications without having to refresh the SMS screen. Agreed with others to lose the splash screen. Keep up the great work!
laservers

Re: SMS notifications

Postby whiteswan » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:20 pm

I completely agree with this essential feature :)
whiteswan

Postby Quicksprj » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:30 pm

Yes there should be some work around at least to notify of a new SMS. Right now I use a text program from app store which allows integration of google voice texts and am notified through the app of a new SMS.
Quicksprj

Postby JesseRPI » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:16 pm

Here's what I'm using as a workaround to get push notifications for SMS:

1. Download GPush from the App Store and set it up to push your desired gmail new message notifications
2. Set up Google Voice to forward SMS to your e-mail
3. After receiving SMS push notification from GPush, check your e-mail and respond to the SMS directly through e-mail, or go into VoiceCentral and reply from there

It's not the smoothest workaround, but it at least keeps me from missing my SMS message notifications. However, I agree that having a push notification service built into VoiceCentral would be great, and I would be willing to pay the premium subscription price for this feature.

Jesse
JesseRPI

Postby jbazar » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:23 pm

I have just paid for a subscription! I love this app and want to show my support by paying for the hard work that riverturn has done.

Please add SMS notification. This would make this the ultimate google voice app!
jbazar

Postby jdia » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:04 pm

I was hoping I could finally be rid of third-party work-arounds (TextNow) for push notifications, but I guess that's not to be -- at least for now.

As other posters have suggested, it would be nice if the SMS messages where organized a la the iPhone way. But to me, that is secondary to the notification issue.

I guess because it uses the Google Voice way of displaying the messages, this part of the app is the least sexy-looking (to me anyway) of the Black Swan app. Just about everything else looks great.
jdia

Postby rsohne » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:49 pm

I have been using GVMax for Google Voice notifications. All messages are pushed and you do all your replies through an instant messaging app. I use Beejive but you could use Meebo which is free. Its very easy to setup and works very well. The service is free and can be found at www.gvmax.com.
rsohne

Postby Quicksprj » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:13 pm

Will black swan ever be able to incorpoate SMS notifications or is this not possible because it is a web based app? To me I really need notifications otherwise it's difficult to use the app. I currently use a work around but would really like to just use this app for everything.
Quicksprj

Postby Chris » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:48 pm

I could not easily find the other SMS on this topic, but I believe there's another one with much more detail. We're looking into ways to make SMS notifications possible, but it will be difficult and different due to the fact that VoiceCentral is a web app. We're open to suggestions on this.
Chris

Postby ccampbell » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:31 pm

As much as I'd love to see push notifications integrated into the app directly, I don't know if apple is anywhere close to supporting this in their architecture. I've been utilizing an alternate solution by combining prowl and a third party plugin to integrate it with google voice. Prowl even has the ability of redirecting a response to a 3rd party app or URL. There may be a limitation here with blackswan since it must be launched from the homescreen. I was planning to email the prowl developers about this sometime this weekend. If prowl can accomplish this functionality, it will mean that blackswan can operate almost identically to the native app, albeit with a bit of glue in the background. If not, I plan to submit some feature requests to Apple in the near future.
ccampbell

Next

Return to Feature Requests