[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Riverturn Support • View topic - LOCALPHONE

LOCALPHONE

Get (or provide!) help using VoiceCentral Black Swan.

LOCALPHONE

Postby djyking » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:17 pm

I'm got a free incoming # from IPKall after signing up with Localphone.com and am using Fring, since Sipgate is temporarily out of free incoming #. I tried calling overseas # directly but google voice says I need credits; and when I called a local # which Localphone assigned for the overseas # Localphone says it knows you are using google Voice and that you will need credits to call overseas(I had to register GV # with Localphone)

So making free international calls only work with SIPgate...or am I missing something? thanks
djyking

Re: LOCALPHONE

Postby Chris » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:14 am

I am not sure how Localphone is determining that you are using Google Voice, but that seems to be the problem here. I am unfamiliar with Localphone, so correct me if I am wrong in my understanding of how you are set up. If I understand correctly, you have a Localphone number (literally, a phone number that is a local call for you) forwarded to an international number. Then you are using VoiceCentral to dial the Localphone number from your iPhone using your Google Voice account.

If I am correct: In VoiceCentral, go to Settings, select Dialing Method, and choose Direct Outbound. Then try to dial the Localphone number using VoiceCentral. GV should provide another local number that your iPhone will dial, which will then redirect to the Localphone number that redirects to the international number. I am wondering if Localphone will still be able to tell that you are using GV when you dial using that method.
Chris

Postby djyking » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:56 am

Thanks Chris. You said if I change to Outbound calls GV will find another local number which will redirect to my localphone #. Can you explain that a little more? The reason is I need to use a registered number with Localphone before I can call the localphone # ; that's why I had to register the GV #. So wouldn't I need to know what the "other" local number GV will use so I can register that number with Localphone?

But going back to dialing the international # directly using GV, GV says there's no credit to make the call. Although this wasn't mentioned in the tutorial, this makes sense since GV only makes free US calls. So if I credit $1 just to make the call then would the free incoming call feature kick in and the call becomes free from that point on?
djyking

Postby Chris » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:17 pm

djyking wrote:So if I credit $1 just to make the call then would the free incoming call feature kick in and the call becomes free from that point on?

GV would still consider it an outbound call even though they called you in order to connect it.

djyking wrote:The reason is I need to use a registered number with Localphone before I can call the localphone # ; that's why I had to register the GV #. So wouldn't I need to know what the "other" local number GV will use so I can register that number with Localphone?

I'm not sure why Localphone needs you to "register" the number with them first, but it could be that they're doing something on the backend that is similar to the way GV's Direct Outbound dialing works. Essentially, GV "registers" the "from" and "to" numbers and then provides a number for you to dial in order to connect that call. Something you could try is to enable Direct Outbound dialing as I described above, place the call, and write down the number that your iPhone tries to dial in order to connect the call (it will be displayed in the confirmation dialog). I would expect that call to fail, but then you can register the number with Localphone and try it again.
Chris

Postby djyking » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:17 pm

I tried as you suggested with direct outgoing call in VC, but when I tried registering the other number that GV provides with Localphone it wants verification, ie it tried calling that number and obviously failed. Or I can use that number to call to verify but that wont work either.

So I guess my real question is whether using the method as outlined in the tutorial will actually allow you to make free international calls...because I'm experiencing problems right from the beginning. Although I'm using another free incoming # instead of Sipgate, I don't see that making a difference since the procedure is the same.
djyking

Postby Chris » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:29 am

While we do not officially support these types of complicated connection setups, I did some research and thought I had some links that would help you tie the loose ends. Then I came back to post them and realized it would not resolve the issue you're bumping up against. While I did find more free SIP accounts, I don't believe any of them will make free international calls. It seems to me that the international calls will always cost you something.
Chris

Return to General Support