[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Riverturn Support • View topic - Not getting hi-res icon on iPhone 4

Not getting hi-res icon on iPhone 4

Submit feature requests and suggestions here.

Not getting hi-res icon on iPhone 4

Postby brastina » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:06 pm

I downloaded your update and noticed the new icon, however it's still pixelated on my iPhone 4. I tried everything I could think of - I deleted the link on my springboard, cleared my history, cache, cookies, and voicecentral database, rebooted the phone, then tried downloading it again - still no luck. What's weird is that the icon shows up nice and pretty at the point where you can rename the icon you're placing on the springboard, but as soon as I hit Add, it takes me home and pops up a pixelated version.

Note that this is NOT the OLD icon that is showing up, just the low-res version of the new icon.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
brastina

Re: Not getting hi-res icon on iPhone 4

Postby cvd » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:00 pm

Confirmed: http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/592/photoxf.png

Here's a screenshot of the folder that VoiceCentral sits in as comparison between the high-res icons and VoiceCentral's icon.

I do like the new icon's design though--much cleaner than before.
cvd

Postby Chris » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:34 am

Does it matter if the app is in a folder or not? I was sent a screen shot of the icon side-by-side with the old icon on an iPhone 4 and it looked much better.
Chris

Postby brastina » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:36 pm

Chris,

I don't have the old icon anymore, but here are shots of the new icon on my screen…

Being added:

On the home-screen (alongside a hi-res icon)

It's the same for me whether or not it's in a folder.
I'm using iOS 4.0.1, if that makes any difference.
brastina

Postby Chris » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:49 pm

You guys have no idea how much we racked our brains on this one. In the end, this bug belongs to our friends at Apple. The problem we're seeing is exactly what's described here:

http://blog.iwalt.com/2010/06/ios-4-web ... n-bug.html

We were able to get the problem to go away by removing that tag and reintroduced it by putting the tag back in. I'd expect to see this fixed in an upcoming iOS release.
Chris

Postby brastina » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:22 pm

Interesting - oh well, thanks for looking into it! It's not like it makes the app any less useful! ;)
brastina

Postby joey » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:29 am

Question? I added modmyi.com/forums my home screen and I noticed that the Icon was rather crisp looking almost high res. Maybe they just have a really nice icon. Anyways you could look at it and maybe....maybe....they are doing something different. Just a thought
joey

Postby Chris » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:58 am

They are not using the HTML markup that is associated with the bug. It's a tag that tells iOS whether the app runs in standalone mode (no Safari UI) or not.
Chris

Postby cvd » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:15 am

Just a note: I have the 4.1 GM on my phone and the icon is the hi-res icon--Apparently they fixed the bug, and the icon looks great.
cvd

Postby KrisM » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:12 am

Does this only happen with the icon or the app itself, too? It seems like the dial pad looks pretty sharp, while the tabs along the bottom and other UI elements are grainy/upscaled.
KrisM

Next

Return to Feature Requests