[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Riverturn Support • View topic - intentional delay ring back for voip on Iphone

intentional delay ring back for voip on Iphone

Submit feature requests and suggestions here.

intentional delay ring back for voip on Iphone

Postby Pachakuti » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:03 pm

I would like to request a delay option to better enable use of voip on the Iphone.
Most voip on the iphone needs a startup time.
If I could purposefully have a choice of a delay
, entered as minutes and seconds.
Then I can judge the amount of time I need to open up my voip account.
thank you
Pacha
Pachakuti

Re: intentional delay ring back for voip on Iphone

Postby whiteswan » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:15 pm

Haven’t you jailbroken your iPhone so you can use Backgrounder and have your SIP software always running?

I use a jailbroken iPhone with SIP software, so whenever I’m within WiFi, GV can call me back on my mobile SIP program (such as Gizmo or Nimbuzz running in the background using Backgrounder) and I don’t lose any minutes. Invaluable, VC just needs to let you choose how to route each call.

I strongly suggest that the current buttons…

[ $0.10 ] [ Call ] [ (x) ]

…be changed to these three…

[ Phone 1 ] [ Phone 2 ] [ Phone 3 ]

Each button relates to one of the user’s own present calling phones. Crucially they must simply pick up the ‘names/labels’ the user has chose for each phone within GV itself. E.g. mine would automatically show as:

[ Cell ] [ Gizmo ] [ sipgate ]

Then, if I’m out and about, I just tap Cell and it calls me back on my iPhone.
If I’m in Starbucks or some other WiFi zone, I hit sipgate, and it calls me back via Nimbuzz’s SIP protocol.
If I’m at home with no cell signal, I hit Gizmo, and it rings my Gizmo app on my computer.

Other people might have: Cell | Home | Work

The above is a must, I feel. But if you’re feeling really clever, allow the user to set a predetermined ‘WiFi’ number, and when the iPhone detects it is connected to a WiFi signal, calls can automatically go through - for example - sipgate and ring back via whatever SIP program the user has on the iPhone. (I don’t think you need a delay for this, as anyone can use Backgrounder to have your SIP software ‘always on’.)

Anyone else think this is a neat idea?
whiteswan

Postby korey_sed » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:30 am

You do make some good suggestions here, and I am not sure i understood it all with respect to which buttons you were referring to, but the just of it was to quickly change the call back when dialing, and that is something we can look at.

Now, as for the delay, for those of you who do not want to jailbreak, unfortunately I do not see that possible. We basically, tell GV to call you back and call whatever number you chose, and do not have an option to insert a delay in there. But we are looking at how we can integrate into other VOIP apps, so tell us what you use most on your iphone, and we will look at the possibilities.
korey_sed

Postby Pachakuti » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:11 pm

Thank you for your response sed.
You suggested that the way voice central works is to activate the ring back comand. Could the comand be initiated after a delay while I have time to close the VC app down and activate my voip app.
I have tried other voip like nimbuz, truphone, fring, but the call quality isn't there. I have been paying for incoming with skype. Still skype doesn't offer a way take calls on my iPhone while shut down.
Thanks
pacha
Pachakuti

Postby korey_sed » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:43 pm

The issue is that if we delay to request, then you will not know if it actually succeeded or not. That means, you could go launch Skype and wait and wonder why the call never came.

Now it may be possible for us to initiate the call using Skype, but that would not display your GV number to the calling party, but these are things we will be looking into.

As for the delay, I will not say no, but you do understand that we cannot just add one off features, so if there is a push for it here on the forums, I will move it higher on the roadmap.

Cheers
korey_sed

Postby dotwod » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:08 am

I concur with whiteswan (and have already asked in a different way) - he suggested that on the dialler instead of showing the balance, the green call and the x (not sure what that is for) you show a list of phones.

that would be a reasonably elegant way of allowing the user to choose the callback phone on the fly (tho it obviously would break if you had more than 3 phones!)

on a different note, someone mentioned problems with fring and other voip apps - which ones have good quality?

thanks!
dotwod

Postby Pachakuti » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:41 am

It seems from your response, sed, that you are able to delay but to aleviate user concerns about reliability, you would need a way to confirm the action. The easiest would be to send either a text to the user's google number, or an email verification. I would like to see this feature added. Currently I use my desktop to initiate calls. It seems like it would be more complicated to integrate with a voip provider, let alone a few or more. A delay seems like a much more broadly applicible solution to the problem others are trying to get around.
Also, this function could become a greater asset. You could become the first app to have a google wakeup call. You could connect calls either at set times or countdowns. Appointment reminders. Get out of bad dates. Romantic surprise call to the girl while you are on the date. Etc. I think it would be the function everyone didn't know they wanted until it was here.
Thanks
pacha
Pachakuti

Postby Pachakuti » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:02 pm

Now you want charge people for what they can do all through google. You haven't distinguished any features that are unique or better. I made a request that would help me and many others, but that was blown off, even though that would certainly set black swan apart from the google app. I don't get the feeling that this is the app for me.
Pachakuti

Postby korey_sed » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:34 am

You did not get blown off. As a matter of fact, your idea, along with any others are welcome and we appreciate your interest very much. We do however have to play a balancing act and prioritize the features that we put into the product, and it would be understandable that we put in features with a wider audience before others.

I think you hit the nail on the head with our differentiation from Google. But we have many features already in the pipeline to make us a more attractive option. So while you may not have that feature in the next build, it does not mean it is not coming. We just have to understand better how widespread is this use of the application so that we can prioritize it better.
korey_sed

Postby moupolly » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:35 am

Is it safe to give my atm card number to pay for my internet call provider like nimbuzz etc.?
Last edited by moupolly on Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
moupolly

Next

Return to Feature Requests