[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Riverturn Support • View topic - Refresh settings, contact viewing, and SMS requests

Refresh settings, contact viewing, and SMS requests

Submit feature requests and suggestions here.

Refresh settings, contact viewing, and SMS requests

Postby l3ender » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:29 pm

Hey guys. First of all, thanks much for the use on the app. I am now using it full time and it continues to get better. I waited to gather some thoughts on the app but I now have a few suggestions for it:

1) When the app starts, it would be nice to have the current tab (for me, SMS) refresh first. That way, the reason for which I open the app is available first. It would also be nice to have an option to only have it refresh that tab.

Along with that, it would be nice to have the refresh button only update the current page. It seems to make sense that you want to refresh that page. I would rather only refresh the current page because refreshing everything takes much longer.

2) When viewing contacts and scrolling up and down, I noticed that the letter side panel could be shifted more to the right. It is possible for me (and I actually run into this problem often enough to where it is annoying) to slide my finger up and down on the RIGHT of the letter panel and instead of doing a quick jump to a certain letter as desired, it scrolls up and down as normal. I checked out other apps and couldn't find one that behaved in the same way. So shifting the letter jump side scroller to the right would fix this.

3) When starting a new SMS, it would be nice to have the cursor automatically focus in the message box. Either that, or automatically pop up your contact list right away (again, when first creating a new SMS). Then, after selecting a contact, have the cursor focus in the message box so one can start typing right away.

Also with SMS, I noticed that for longer texts the box eventually cuts off some of the text message. To scroll up, you have to hold your finger down to prompt the magnified cursor and then scroll up to see the rest of the text. It would be nice to have that window be scrollable.

4) It would be nice to support texting to multiple people. Google Voice added this not too long ago, so maybe it just wasn't around when the app was being developed.

If my ideas or suggestions aren't clear, please let me know and I will try and clarify. I look forward to seeing the app progress forward. Thanks!

Edit: I'm on an iPod Touch if that makes a difference.
l3ender

Re: Refresh settings, contact viewing, and SMS requests

Postby Chris » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:44 am

1) We'll likely make some changes to the refreshing very soon. For more info about "all data vs. current tab," see this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14

2) It does look like we could slide the Contacts index over very slightly. The problem we were having was that many users were unable to tap a specific letter (wide fingers?). It sounds like your goal is to hit a letter or scroll the index when you tap even farther to the right, so maybe we could expand the hit area of the index to address this issue without causing a problem for other users. I added a defect in our tracking system for this, so someone will look at it.

3) I added a feature request for a "better SMS composer workflow." As far as the scrolling, we might have to live with that. It's the way the iPhone handles scrolling within a text area.

4) I don't know if it was added due to this thread or another, but this was already in our tracking system.

Thanks for the feedback--keep it coming.
Chris

Return to Feature Requests