[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Riverturn Support • View topic - Regarding the callback prompt ...

Regarding the callback prompt ...

Submit feature requests and suggestions here.

Regarding the callback prompt ...

Postby ccampbell » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:36 pm

First off, I love what you've done. The app is slick and nearly perfect for my needs. I have a couple hangups that make it more difficult to use than the Google Web App though. I find myself resorting in some instances to the Google App, or even just the native app ... particularly when I want to place a call.

I understand why the prompt is necessary in Google's Web App as it actually places a call and the iPhone requires a confirmation to operate. However, this seems to be an unnecessary user action in BlackSwan. I'm loving the interface except for this. To make a call, it is much easier to go through Google's Web App. Here are a couple ideas ...

First, is it possible to add functionality that parallel's google's own web app? Rather than requiring call back, allow the call to be placed directly. I'm unsure if Google has opened up it's API enough to allow you to get the outbound number Google ties to the call. I believe some users need the callback functionality (based on other comments in the forums). The preferred mode of operation would be to allow the user to configure their preference for callback or direct dial.

Second, provide a configuration option to turn off BlackSwan prompting on callback. I don't mind if the default is to prompt. I can see why it would confuse some users to receive a call every time they try to dial out. But, I don't see the need to 1) open the app, 2) navigate to my contacts, 3) select a contact to dial, 4) confirm the action, and 5) accept the call back.

Third, to further simplify the process, is there a way to store multiple home page icons to specific functionality within BlackSwan. I had two icons I used with the Google app. First a link to the inbox to make for quick texting and voicemail. Second, a link to contacts to make for quick dialing. The only annoyance with their system was that a separate Safari window opened up for each instance. Separate links would also enable Prowl to open BlackSwan when I receive a notification.
ccampbell

Re: Regarding the callback prompt ...

Postby Chris » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:42 pm

As far as placing direct outbound calls, that is on our radar. When it gets implemented, I'm sure it will be optional for users that prefer the current approach.

Let me clarify the prompt when dialing. When you place a call, you do not need to press OK to complete the call. However, you can leverage the Cancel button to prevent the call from connecting. That said, this has been a very commonly misunderstood dialog. You can expect it to be changed in the next update, and we might even squeeze in the option to disable it completely.

The ability to leverage multiple VC icons has not been implemented. We do have a feature request for it in our tracking system with several ideas for leveraging multiple icons.

Thanks for the feedback--keep it coming!
Chris

Postby ccampbell » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:36 pm

Thanks for the quick response and the clarification on the prompt ... I just hadn't been patient enough with the delay on the callback apparently. ;) I will say that this is well worth the $6 for the full application. And it is quite exciting to see how much is possible through a well built webapp.
ccampbell

Postby l3ender » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:47 pm

Just as a heads up, the feature to automatically call using the phone's number would need to be optional for us iPod Touch users. :)

Other than that, I was surprised when the cancel button on the call actually worked. I think my phone had already been called and was ringing and it still canceled the call. Great work!
l3ender

Return to Feature Requests