[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Riverturn Support • View topic - Question about placing calls and how they are connected

Question about placing calls and how they are connected

Get (or provide!) help using VoiceCentral Black Swan.

Question about placing calls and how they are connected

Postby phusion1337 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:17 pm

I have been using Google Voice's web app for the past month or so, and haven't had any problems or concerns. When I noticed Voice Central was available today I was excited to try it out! There seems to be one obvious difference in the way that calls are placed. When I use Google Voice's web app, and place a call, I get a call back from some local Google number in my area. When I use Voice Central to place a call, I get a call back from my own Google Voice number. I guess the root of my question is as long as I have my Google Voice number added to AT&T's "A-List" then the call should be free regardless? To anyone unfamiliar, AT&T's A-List allows free unlimited calling to any 5 numbers of your choosing. Prior to using Voice Central I simply added that local "Google number" to my A-List which allowed me to place a call at anytime for free.
phusion1337

Re: Question about placing calls and how they are connected

Postby Chris » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:17 pm

Disclaimer: I do not work for AT&T (right now) and do not use their A-List service.

Reading this page:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone- ... a-list.jsp

I found this (emphasis mine):

"Calls to and from your A-List numbers are not charged against your rate
plan, Mobile to Mobile, or Rollover® minutes."

That leads me to believe that you could add your Google Voice number to your A-List (not the number Google calls from when using their app, but the one that calls you when dialing with VoiceCentral) and you would not be charged for calls placed using Google Voice via VoiceCentral.

Can any users confirm this?
Chris

Re: Question about placing calls and how they are connected

Postby phusion1337 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:24 pm

Yes that is what seems most attractive about VoiceCentral. With Google's web app, I can achieve a similar thing, but I am restricted to my local area (as Google picks the nearest Google number to call you back with when connecting a call.) With VoiceCentral though, it seems I can achieve the same thing, no matter where I am. If I left the state for example, Google would choose a different number to call me back with whereas with VoiceCentral, it always uses my Google Voice number to connect back to me. If I add my Google Voice number to my A-List, whenever my Google Voice number calls me, it will always be free. Most new plans with AT&T will offer the A-List service, which makes VoiceCentral an amazing way to acquire unlimited talk time regardless of your anytime minutes.
phusion1337

Return to General Support