[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Riverturn Support • View topic - Any way to stop the automatic Contact sync from occuring?

Any way to stop the automatic Contact sync from occuring?

Get (or provide!) help using VoiceCentral Black Swan.

Any way to stop the automatic Contact sync from occuring?

Postby cbdejavu » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:16 pm

I use my iphone and Google Voice for 2 separate purposes and as such I have 2 separate contacts lists one on my iphone that is synced with my google apps account and the Google Voice that is synced with my gmail contacts. Unfortunately this applications imported all of them without asking into one list now so I had to spend half a day fixing it, however every time you launch the app it does it again. Am I missing something or is there a way to turn this off. Seems like a great application but if it is going to destroy my contact lists every time I launch it I can't really use it.

Hopefully if this isn't an option now to turn off contact syncing it is something you can add in the future, as aside from that the application seems great and something I'd definitely use over the google's web application.
cbdejavu

Re: Any way to stop the automatic Contact sync from occuring?

Postby Chris » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:34 pm

I saw your post on the feature request before I saw this thread. We should stick to this thread for troubleshooting rather than the feature request as it seems you are experiencing a problem.

VoiceCentral has absolutely no ability to modify the contacts on your iPhone or your Google account. The functionality simply isn't there, and that's entirely what the other forum thread is about--adding that functionality at some point.

So, what exactly is happening and where (iPhone's Contacts app, Google Voice web site) are you needing to modify your contacts after using VoiceCentral? Can you give me the steps you are following and the perceived results?
Chris

Postby cbdejavu » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:43 pm

Ok, currently my iPhone is setup to sync with my google apps account. So contacts, calendar, mail, etc are all in sync with my google apps account using my personal domain.

My Google voice account using my gmail.com account, and uses the contacts on the gmail.com. So contacts that were on my (iphone and google apps account) now seem to have migrated into gmail.com/google voice account, however after looking at your app more closely I can see it is just reading what was in the google voice/gmail.com contacts so something else must have done the cross-contamination. At this point it looks like your app is working just fine. I've since run the app again and after cleaning up the two contact lists they are not re-merging so I'm not really sure what application I ran that merged the two.

Thanks for the quick response on this, keep up the great work. Your application works quite well and is so much faster than google's own web-based application.
cbdejavu

Postby Chris » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:43 am

Awesome. I'm sorry to hear about your contacts getting munged (that's something that would frustrate me beyond belief), but I'm glad you realize it wasn't VoiceCentral that caused it. Perceived responsibility for issues like that is a major reason we hesitate to add a 2-way sync.
Chris

Postby Tigerinroc » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:44 am

I have 200 contacts on my GV account but Voicecentral only syncs 41 of them no matter how many times I tap the sync button.

Please advise.
Tigerinroc

Postby Chris » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:43 pm

Two factors to consider:

1) VoiceCentral only syncs the contacts in your My Contacts group, so log into the Google Voice web site to make sure that group contains all of the contacts you want to sync.

2) VoiceCentral does not sync contacts that do not have phone numbers since it cannot "do" anything with those contacts.

If neither of those items is the reason you're getting fewer contacts in VC than GV, then it could be a CAPTCHA issue. Are you frequently asked to respond to a CAPTCHA challenge (enter letters from an image) when you launch VoiceCentral? If so, click the link above the image, fill out the form, and try to sync your contacts again.
Chris

Postby Tigerinroc » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:01 pm

I followed your instructions and found that:
- There are only 2 contacts in My Contacts but 41 in the app.
- I moved 200 contacts to My Contacts and got 241 in the app with duplicates.
- I deleted all my contacts and now I have 39 contacts in the app (with zero contacts in my GV account?).

How can I remove these contacts and start fresh again?
Tigerinroc

Postby Chris » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:24 pm

Launch VoiceCentral, go to the Keypad tab, dial ##335*266#, and tap Call.
Chris

Postby Tigerinroc » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:42 pm

Thank you.
Tigerinroc

Return to General Support