[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Riverturn Support • View topic - Backgrounding

Backgrounding

Get (or provide!) help using VoiceCentral Black Swan.

Backgrounding

Postby Cjbarton » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:00 pm

My iPhone is jailbroken and I'm running Backgrounder for 3.x and Pro Switcher. When I open the application, everything works fine as long as you exit it. So it works fine as long as you've started a new session. However, if I leave it running in the background, and go back to it later, I can't select individual txts, vmails, contacts, etc. In addition, I can't place new calls or texts. I assume there's some sort of compatiblity issue with backgrounding?
Cjbarton

Re: Backgrounding

Postby CaliforniaMan » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:30 pm

I don't have backgrounder installed at the moment. If you do a refresh does the the problem still occur?
CaliforniaMan

Postby Chris » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:10 pm

We have seen a problem with the application not responding after declining an inbound call (a similar situation because it goes to the background and comes back to the foreground). It seems like an issue with Safari's handling of JavaScript upon resuming, but we have yet to narrow it down to a definitive cause.
Chris

Postby Cjbarton » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:36 pm

CaliforniaMan wrote:I don't have backgrounder installed at the moment. If you do a refresh does the the problem still occur?

When I exit the program *or* respring the device and open it back up, it works like a charm. It's just when I leave it open in the background, do something else (i.e. play solitaire) and come back to it that it's unresponsive.
Cjbarton

Postby Cjbarton » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:37 pm

Chris wrote:We have seen a problem with the application not responding after declining an inbound call (a similar situation because it goes to the background and comes back to the foreground). It seems like an issue with Safari's handling of JavaScript upon resuming, but we have yet to narrow it down to a definitive cause.

That's curious; because I can leave Safari running and come back to a site and not have any problems. It just automatically reloads the page.
Cjbarton

Postby korey_sed » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:51 pm

Since this is not a configuration we have tried, Chris is just guessing at this point. We do have a known issue documented that Safari will stop processing JS if you ignore an incoming call and they may be related. This is not the same as leaving safari open for a while and coming back to it, since our app continues to work if you answer a call while the app is running....its just an issue if you ignore it.

here is something for you to try if you like while we get this setup and tested. Go to Google's GV site on safari and leave that running in the background to see if that causes any issues. To be comparative, make sure you've added and launched the page from the home screen.
korey_sed

Postby Cjbarton » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:10 pm

korey_sed wrote:...here is something for you to try if you like while we get this setup and tested. Go to Google's GV site on safari and leave that running in the background to see if that causes any issues. To be comparative, make sure you've added and launched the page from the home screen.

Good suggestion, Korey. I tried that and am not able to duplicate the problem that I get with Black Swan.
Cjbarton

Postby korey_sed » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:14 pm

That's promising then...we will keep you posted.
korey_sed

Postby Chris » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:40 am

This actually is a configuration I have tried. The same thing happens when I use the app with Backgrounder. I didn't know about ProSwitcher until your post (my iPhone is now complete), but ProSwitcher had no effect on the results.

Answering an inbound call and ignoring an inbound call while an app is running are very different in the way the iPhone handles the events. If you take the call, the running app is closed and then reopened when the Phone app exits after the call. That's the same as closing and reopening our app (any app) manually. If you ignore the call, the app simply "sleeps" for the time that the call is ringing and then resumes, which is more comparable to running it in the background.
Chris

Return to General Support