[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Riverturn Support • View topic - Contacts Import

Contacts Import

Get (or provide!) help using VoiceCentral Black Swan.

Contacts Import

Postby Firestarter777 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:01 pm

All of my contacts are in Google Contacts. After installing Black Swan, I hit the import button for contacts. However, a significant number of contacts show up as "[No Name]." No idea why... It shows that is updating the appropriate number of contacts (1249).
Firestarter777

Re: Contacts Import

Postby stuart » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:38 pm

Just curious, is there anything special about them (something that would make them different, character wise, duplicates, or some info in them that is not in the others)?

Can you/have you tried to import again?

Stuart
stuart

Postby korey_sed » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:36 pm

The contacts with no names, are they businesses where you do not have a firstname, lastname?
korey_sed

Postby kengetz » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:40 pm

I had the exact same behavior. I get around 100 items with [no name] listed. They're all simply phone numbers, and they may be businesses, but still, it's unacceptable. Since there's no way to remove them, and since scrolling is slow, and since the letter column is flaky in response to touch, it makes finding a contact very difficult. I know it's beta, and I know it's early, but perhaps considering adding a textbox to perform a search as you type lookup would help? -- Ken
kengetz

Postby Chris » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:11 am

Ken, you're absolutely right that it's unacceptable. Korey was not saying "it's going to be like that because they don't have first and last names." He was trying to determine the cause of the problem so it could be fixed. We should have updated this thread to say that it does seem to be the cause and a defect was created to have it resolved.

For future reference, this was originally seen in v0.9.0.
Chris

Postby Firestarter777 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:48 am

I do have business contacts. However, for various reasons related to syncing my Outlook contacts with Google Contacts, and wanting them to display a certain way on my phone, I do not have a single business contact where the business name isn't ALSO in the first and last name. So, for example, "Marriott Guest Services" is in the Company name, but is also the Last Name of the contact. In short, the answer to your question is "no," there are no contacts where the name is left blank.
Firestarter777

Postby Chris » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:04 pm

I'm going on the presumption that you've already confirmed this contact does not show up as "Marriott Guest Services" in VoiceCentral (i.e.: not a business contact that did show up properly).

Since the contacts section in Google Voice does not have a first and last name field, would you mind checking to see how "Marriott Guest Services" appears in your Google Voice contacts? Please log into the Google Voice site, select that contact, and then click Edit. The first field is Name, the second is Title, and the third is Company. Which fields are populated for that contact?

Even though Google Voice's contacts do not have a first and last name field, the Google Contacts API does (with the addition of a full name field that is not always populated, either). I did double-check the code based on your last post, and having no first name will skip the test for whether there is a last name. It then checks for a full name provided by Google.
Chris

Postby Firestarter777 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:59 pm

Chris wrote:I'm going on the presumption that you've already confirmed this contact does not show up as "Marriott Guest Services" in VoiceCentral (i.e.: not a business contact that did show up properly).

Since the contacts section in Google Voice does not have a first and last name field, would you mind checking to see how "Marriott Guest Services" appears in your Google Voice contacts? Please log into the Google Voice site, select that contact, and then click Edit. The first field is Name, the second is Title, and the third is Company. Which fields are populated for that contact?

Even though Google Voice's contacts do not have a first and last name field, the Google Contacts API does (with the addition of a full name field that is not always populated, either). I did double-check the code based on your last post, and having no first name will skip the test for whether there is a last name. It then checks for a full name provided by Google.

The company name would be in Company as well as First Name. Nothing in Last Name. However, the most recent update appears to have corrected my contacts import issue. I no longer have [No Name] contacts. I DO, however, have several contacts now where the first name is listed twice. I've checked a few and can't find a consistent difference between those that appear with the first name twice, and those that don't.
Firestarter777

Postby HFTobeason » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:21 pm

I'm having a different issue with the contacts import - upon import, any contact that shows up in my Google contacts with a middle name, or with a prefix (i.e. "Dr"), shows up in BlackSwan with a doubled first name or prefix. For example, in Google contacts, I have a contact that lists as "John Smith Doe". In BS, this contact shows up as "Doe, John John" (obviously, I have both contact settings in BS at Last, First). Likewise, "Dr John Doe, DDS" shows up as "Doe, DDS, Dr Dr". Further complicating this issue is the fact that it does not alway happen - but does most of the time.
HFTobeason

Postby HFTobeason » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:41 pm

Even weirder, I am now seeing that a number of contacts are being imported under duplicate alphabetization - I think I know what is going on - for example, I have 10 contacts with a last name starting with "J". One of those contacts is actually a business, "jetBlue", which alphabetizes in the middle of the group. In BS, however, "jetBlue" is given its own heading strip "j", set in between the heading strips "J" and "J", which contain the "J" names that alphabetize before and after. This seems overly pedantic.
HFTobeason

Next

Return to General Support