[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Riverturn Support • View topic - What is Call Back Setting

What is Call Back Setting

Get (or provide!) help using VoiceCentral Black Swan.

What is Call Back Setting

Postby seaquake2 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:23 pm

I'm trying to figure out what the call back setting is under setting?

It lists 2 numbers, my cell number and my office number.

I want Google Voice set on this app so that when i call from it it shows my Google Voice Number, currently under Google Voice Website that is how it is setup.
seaquake2

Re: What is Call Back Setting

Postby Chris » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:05 pm

I don't know the "proper" terms for these 2 methods of dialing with Google Voice, so let me list the terms that I use and their meanings before answering the question (it will be easier to discuss if we agree on terminology first):

"Direct outbound dialing": This is the approach that Google takes on the mobile version of their web site. The person placing the call dials out to a generic local phone number using their iPhone, and then the call is connected to the dialed party.

"Callback dialing": This is the approach that Google takes when you dial from the desktop/full version of their web site. You enter the number you'd like to dial, select a "callback number" from the list of phones associated with your GV account, and press Call. GV then dials your callback number with your GV number as the caller ID. When you answer the call from GV, it connects to the dialed party (also showing your GV number on the caller ID).

VoiceCentral currently uses callback dialing to initiate outbound calls. The workflow is exactly the same as if you were placing the call from the full Google Voice site except that VoiceCentral remembers your callback number so you don't have to select it every time you place a call. The typical use case for an iPhone user would be that you add your iPhone to the Phones section in the Google Voice web site and choose it in the Call Back setting within VoiceCentral. Then when you place a call using VoiceCentral, GV will call your iPhone, you answer the call, and then GV connects to the other party. Your GV number shows on their caller ID if that's how it's set up in your GV settings.

Many users prefer callback dialing because they are able to save money using inbound minutes for outbound calls (think "A-List with your GV number on it"). Even after understanding how it works, some users still believe callback dialing "feels weird," so we do intend to add (optional) direct outbound dialing in a future release.
Chris

Re: What is Call Back Setting

Postby joey » Mon May 03, 2010 4:45 am

That is the one thing I like about Googles app the Direct outbound dialing is nice.
joey

Return to General Support