[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Riverturn Support • View topic - Can listen to voicemails over wi-fi but not over 3G...

Can listen to voicemails over wi-fi but not over 3G...

Get (or provide!) help using VoiceCentral Black Swan.

Can listen to voicemails over wi-fi but not over 3G...

Postby bripab007 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:04 am

Not sure if this is a known limitation or what, but everything in the app seems to work, whether I'm using a wi-fi AP or AT&T's 3G network for data, except retrieving and listening to voicemails.

When using 3G network for data, clicking on the voicemail launches the Safari media player, it says it's loading, but it never loads and plays. Eventually I believe it either times out or gives a message saying it cannot be played.
bripab007

Re: Can listen to voicemails over wi-fi but not over 3G...

Postby Chris » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:58 am

Does the size/length of the voicemail message affect the result? You can view the length of a voicemail by tapping the blue arrow to the right of its row. Find a short one and see if it plays for you.
Chris

Postby bripab007 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:59 pm

I just left a brief, 5 second voicemail, and that does not work either. It eventually times out and says "Cannot Play Movie, this movie format is not supported."

The voicemails I had been trying to listen to earlier were 11 and 28 seconds.
bripab007

Postby Chris » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:04 pm

That's very strange behavior.

1. Are you launching VoiceCentral after switching from Wi-Fi to 3G? As in, is the attempt to play a message happening on the same network that you were on when VC logged you in?
  2. Are you able to play voicemails from the mobile GV site at https://voice.google.com using Safari on your iPhone while on a 3G connection?
  3. Do other features of VoiceCentral such as a full refresh also fail when you're on 3G? To test this, go to the Settings tab, select Account Info, and tap Save.
Chris

Postby bripab007 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:46 pm

1. Yes, I'm letting the phone sit on just the 3G network for a few minutes, surfing the web using that 3G data connection, then launching Voice Central.

2. No. Just tried this and have the same problem on Google's mobile Voice site on 3G connection.

3. Yes, the full refresh and all other features appear to work fine over 3G as well.

I'm quite confused as to how the voicemails play just fine on the full, desktop version of the site, but not on the mobile version on my phone or on your web app version using the cellular data network.
bripab007

Postby sek144 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:18 pm

This problem did not appear until 3-16-2010.
I upgraded my phone from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3 on Saturday but do not believe that had an effect.

Yesterday, 3-16-10 in Texas, specifically DFW area, AT&T Voice and Data Services were up and down for most of the day. After service was restored, you could no longer access Google Voice Mail via Google Voice interface or Black Swan using 3G. A colleague theorized that AT&T implemented something to prevent GV voice mail playback from being accessed over the 3G network. I took his suggestion, connected to Wi-Fi with 3G still on and I can access all of the features. With Wi-Fi on and Airplane Mode on I can still access the features. As soon as I turn Wi-Fi off the access fails. This includes trying to play the voice mail from the link provided inside of Gmail on my iPhone.

Anyone have any ideas?
sek144

Postby sek144 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:20 pm

I don't believe this 3G routing issue is accidental, I believe AT&T purposefully implemented these changes.
sek144

Postby bripab007 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:02 pm

Yes, I, along with several other iPhone users in my town, experienced cellular connectivity issues throughout the day yesterday as well! Ya know, I didn't even put two and two together, but it's just too coincidental :o

Also of note: GV Mobile+ (the Google Voice app that was pulled from Apple's app store, only to have the developer, Sean Kovacs, later release it on the jailbreak community's Cydian app store) is completely broken on 3G. It, too, works fine on Wi-Fi, but it must access Google's servers in such a way that the app is broken in its entirety on cellular data (SMS, voicemail, recent activity, dialing out, etc.).

Something's rotten in the state of Denmark.
bripab007

Postby EricJay » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:51 pm

I'm having the same problem. Something changed in the last few days that's keeping me from playing any GV message, either through Black Swan or Safari and the the GV Web App, when I'm not on a Wi-Fi connection.
EricJay

Postby Chris » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:35 am

I'm happy to say this is working for me without any changes on our end this morning. I'll be even happier when you all report the same. Anyone still seeing this issue?
Chris

Next

Return to General Support